School History

Some significant events in the History of our School

 

1917   Preliminary investigations commenced re the establishment of a school at the corner of Rosamond Road and Mephan Street.

 

1920   School site purchased

 

1923   School commenced operation

 

1924   School officially opened by Dr. J. A. Leach, District Inspector of schools on 20th April

 

1928   Caretaker’s residence built (entrance from May Street)

 

1943   Two timber classrooms erected near two-storey building

 

1949   Army Huts (2 classrooms) erected

 

1950’s   Enrolments peaked at 850 students

 

1950   Church of England Hall in May Street leased for additional classroom space

 

1953   Two timber classroom erected at east end of “Hawksley Building”

 

1962   Army huts converted to a canteen

 

1965   Cooperative Society formed to provide funds for construction of new canteen

 

1967   Army Huts (old Canteen) and original Library demolished.

            New Canteen built between shelter sheds. Cost 2,000 pounds

 

1971   Senior buildings (4 classrooms) erected (brick clad/light timber construction)

 

1974   Education Department Demonstration Unit built on former Caretaker’s residence site

 

1976   Multi-purpose Hall built

 

1976   School Council established

 

1977   Bingo commenced in the School Hall. Joint School Council/Maidstone Junior Sporting Club fundraising activity

 

1980   Outdoor learning area, including barbeque, constructed

            Four half court and two full-sized tennis courts constructed by Maidstone Junior Sporting Club

 

1981   School obtained two ovals (Argaet Reserve) in return for Nursing home site

 

1986   Major facilities upgrade took place, officially opened by Hon, Robert Fordham M.P. on 12th April

 

1989   Inner Western School Support Centre (formally Demonstration Unit and later Curriculum Centre) was burnt down.

            Inner Wester School Support Centre replaced with portable classrooms

 

1990   Extension to the School Hall completed

 

1991   Two new full sized tennis courts constructed

 

1993   Inner Western School Support Centre site (May Street) officially handed back to the school

 

2003   Rooms 10/11/12 built and rooms 6/7/8/9 upgraded

 

2006   Upgrade to Administration Area

 

2007   Oval resurfacing

 

2009   Old canteen and shelter sheds knocked down

 

2010   New building (BER)

 

2011   Fencing around the school

 

Translator